From the Elementary Principal
The second quarter is underway, and our elementary students and teachers are off and running! Despite the continued requirement to hold classes virtually, we at BAIS are choosing to remain positive and focus on the great opportunities God is giving us during this school year. Our team is working hard so that when we are given permission to reopen school for face-to-face instruction, we will be ready! Here is a brief look at some of the exciting happenings and highlights from our elementary program:
- PreK3 has been working on counting from 1-10, shapes, and name recognition!
- PreK4 is working hard on sorting sizes, mastering letter sounds, improving handwriting, and investigating rhyming words!
- Kindergarten has been hard at work learning about weather, nonfiction books, letter sounds, and bigger numbers. Students have enjoyed counting to 100 by ones and tens!
- Grade 1 is working hard practicing addition and subtraction, learning about important Habits of Character (initiative, collaboration, and perseverance) and finding examples of these in class stories! They are doing great holding up a visual to the camera to indicate when they understand, have questions, or need more help.
- Grade 2 is learning about famous paleontologists and how fossilization occurs, double digit addition and the importance of place value, and most importantly that we should be bold, obedient, and courageous like Joshua of the Old Testament. We can experience God’s power too!
- Grade 3 is diving into new technology. They recently learned how to use Google Docs and are experiencing writing in a new way!
- Grade 4 has been writing summaries and interpreting diagrams by researching animal defense mechanisms. In Bible class, they have been learning about who God is and why we were created in His image. They’re also multiplying multi-digit numbers and presenting animal research to their peers!
- Grade 5 has been working hard, comparing text structures and writing summaries by researching the rainforests around the world. They are also dividing using multi-digit divisors and examining how humans are impacting our earth!
Parent-Teacher conferences are coming up on Nov. 19th and 20th, and we are excited to see you! Please plan on attending either in person or virtually. During these two conference days, Mr. Thomas and I plan on being available on campus to meet with you on a drop-in basis and talk through questions you may have regarding our program.
Elementary conference schedules will be sent home in student packets on Monday, November 9th. Report cards will be sent home digitally on November 13th, then physically on Nov. 16th in student packets.
Thank you for your continued support for our students and teachers! Go Eagles!
Drama Rehearsal Schedule
We are now going to be having our rehearsal times on campus! We will return to our normal 2 hour schedule each week starting at 4:15. Here is the schedule for this coming Wednesday, November 11, 2020 rehearsal time:
Scene 1 & 2
Lights / Sound: Angel, Connor & Kadin
Main Characters: Jemma/Eliza, Jemima/Kezia, Potts/Ollie, Coggins/Jace, Junkman/Kai, Truly/Jinny & Grandpa/Ezra
Ensemble: Lord Scrumptious/Sandor, Baronness/Mia, Baron/Simeon, Bois/Mael, Goran/Josh, Samantha, Kathlyn, Kris, Emily & Hanna
- 4:15PM – 4:45PM – Opening
- 5:15pm – 6:15PM – You Two, Them Three, Doll on the Music Box, Hushabye, Truly Scrumptious
- 4:45PM – 5:15PM: Opening
- 5:15PM – 6:15PM: Chu-Chi Face, RyAnne & Karen
From the Guidance Counselor
Congratulations to Bethany Womble & Oliver Gunthorpe!
Bethany has been accepted to the following universities in the United States:
- Truett McConnell University
- Trinity Baptist University
Oliver has been accepted to Bethel University in the United States with a merit scholarship awarded.
Make sure to congratulate them when you see them around… your Google Meet.
Also, please be praying for the other students in the senior class as they are in the process of applying or are waiting for the decisions to be announced.
Upcoming Virtual Events
Be sure to check out the Google Doc for new updates to the university events.
- Dutch Education Exhibit
- Applying to Japan
- Yale-NUS Singapore
Secondary Parent-Teacher Conferences
In order to minimize the number of parents on campus at one time during Secondary Parent-Teacher conferences, please see the schedule below. For convenience, if you have multiple students, you may meet outside these time slots. Teachers are excited to see you!
Thursday, November 19, 2020 from 3:00PM to 7:00PM:
- 3:00-4:30 Grades 6-8
- 4:30-5:30 Grades 9-10
- 5:30-7:00 Grades 11-12
Friday, November 20, 2020 from 8:00AM to 12:00PM:
- 8:00-9:30 Grades 11-12
- 9:30-10:30 Grades 6-8
- 10:30-12:00 Grades 9-10
On Thursday, secondary teachers will have 9th period (Extended Day) classes as normally scheduled. The following teachers might not be available until 3:30:
- Kate Gasson
- Melissa Hall
- Rina Aritonang
- Bethany Christensen
- John Ratukado
- Qifeng Li
- Wanmei Luo
- Amalia Kurniawan
Athletics & Club News
After School Activities
- Sherin Chong and Melissa Budijono are continuing the legacy of Beltra Chong’s and Annaline Nugraha’s -‘20 BAIS graduates- ‘Build to Give club. This club will serve the community and other people in Indonesia through fundraising and planning events to bring the community together. During this pandemic, the club will plan creative activities that will either be virtual or following the guidelines of social distancing.
The club is open to all secondary students and will meet every Tuesday at 2:45 – 3:30 virtually. If you are interested in joining Build to Give, please fill out this form. Contact Sherin (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Melissa (email@example.com) if you have any questions or concerns.
- Some BAIS community members meet on Mondays and Thursdays at the entrance to Jingga at 4pm each week to run together. If you are interested, please contact Ibu Hani for more specific information (firstname.lastname@example.org).
“It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas” — or sound a lot like Christmas.
Dear BAIS Parents, Staff, and Students,
We need you! This year, the BAIS music department will be hosting a BAIS community-wide virtual Christmas concert, and we need YOU to participate. Many of the students are already working on musical numbers that will be included in the Christmas concert, but it won’t be complete without YOU! Here’s how you can participate.
The BAIS music department and BAIS’s new music teacher Ibu Rina Aritonang is looking for students and parents to participate in the following performance groups:
- The BAIS Mini-Orchestra. — Ibu Rina would like to start a mini-orchestra here at BAIS and needs (at minimum) the following:
- 1 piano
- 3 violins
- 2 cellos
- 2 flutes
- 2 clarinets
If you are interested, regardless of whether your instrument is listed or not, please sign up on the interest form that is linked below. Once Ibu Rina knows what the interest level is, she will contact you with more information about rehearsals.
- The BAIS Dance Ensemble — Ibu Rina would like to incorporate dance into the upcoming Christmas concert and would particularly like to invite the BAIS moms to join this Ensemble. The ensemble is open to students as well. If you are interested in the BAIS Dance Ensemble, please sign up on the interest form where you can also view the two performance options and vote for the performance you would like to be in.
- Teacher/ Staff Choir — BAIS Teachers and Staff, YOU are also wanted! Ibu Rina is putting together a staff choir to sing the “Angels’ Carol”. Rehearsals will be on Monday mornings from 7:10-8:00 in the music room. Please sign up on the interest form and show up to the music room next Monday, Oct 26.
Christmas is an amazing season, so please join us in celebrating this Christmas season, a season that reminds us that God Himself has brought us peace, hope, joy, and love! BAIS Virtual Christmas Concert Interest Form