From the Elementary Principal’s Desk
As we start into the second quarter, we’d like to invite you to join us in the many events and activities that will happen throughout the quarter.
- Parent Teacher Conferences – Nov. 2-3 Elementary parents will receive a scheduled invitation to the conferences. Secondary parents are welcome to stop in and visit the teachers in the MPR during open conference hours.
- PACE Gatherings – The week of Nov. 6-9th there will be a morning, afternoon, and evening gathering planned for parents to get together with the BAIS admin and with the PACE leaders to talk about the current BAIS school year.
- 5th Grade Coffee Talk – Nov. 9th at 2 p.m. the 5th grade parents will get together with Mrs. Sianturi in the MPR to talk about What to Expect from the 5th grade year.
- Mini Jazz Concert – Nov. 9th our high school music class will be performing in a mini concert from 3:30-4 p.m. in the music room. Please come and listen to the talented young men and women in the group.
- I Love To Read – This month as we celebrate reading, we are welcoming guest readers in the elementary classrooms. Please contact your classroom teacher if you can come in and read your favorite story. Don’t forget Storybook Day Nov. 17th at 1 p.m. Come see the Fantasy Costume Parade.
- Spiritual Emphasis Week – Nov. 20-22. Parents are welcome to join the worship time for the different grades as well as listen to our guest speakers during this week. Stay tuned for more information as SEW gets closer.
This is definitely a busy time of year but we welcome these opportunities to celebrate and collaborate with parents as we partner together in educating your children. We hope you have a great weekend this weekend and encourage you to pray for the BAIS High School soccer teams as they are in Malang competing in the IISSAC Soccer Tournament this weekend.
Charity (LaMertha) Sianturi, Ed.S
Elementary Principal / Curriculum Coordinator
Parent Teacher Conferences
Secondary Parent Teacher Conferences
- Thursday, November 2, 2017 – 3:45pm to 7pm in the MPR
- Friday, November 3, 2017 – 7:45am to 11:30am in the MPR
Elementary Parent Teacher Conferences
- Thursday, November 2, 2017 – 3:00pm to 7pm in the homeroom
- Friday, November 3, 2017 – 7:45am to 11:30am in the homeroom
November 1, 2017 – 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Scene Four: The Battle
Scene Five: The Good Witch
If you are in these scenes, please come to practice:
- Tweedle Dee
- Tweedle Dum
- White Rabbit
From the School Counselor
On Wednesday, November 1, UBC (University of British Columbia) will give a presentation during secondary lunch (12:41-1:16) in Mr. Powers’ room (204) to any high school students and parents who are interested.
Here is a bit more about UBC: The University of British Columbia, founded in 1908, is a global centre for research, teaching, and learning, and is consistently ranked among the most prestigious international institutions, and one of the top 40 research universities, in the world. Each year more than 60,000 students pursue their education at UBC’s two locations – a coastal campus in Vancouver, on Canada’s spectacular Pacific coast, and the beautiful Okanagan campus in the interior of BC. Students from more than 160 countries study in undergraduate, postgraduate, and professional programs at UBC that lead to internationally recognized degrees in comprehensive fields of study across the spectrum of disciplines.
Learn more at www.you.ubc.ca
Athletics & Club News
- IISSAC Tournament October 27th-29th in Malang!
- Season’s Record: Boys 8-4-2 / Girls 7-2-2
After School Activities
- Thanks to all the ‘geezer’ participants during the Middle School vs. Adults
Basketball Game Monday.
- And thank you to all in the community that came out to support the BAIS basketball program.
- Young Tigers played a soccer friendly match against CBCS this past Saturday. Elementary students and 6th graders are encouraged to sign up for Young Tigers this coming Trimester.
Club Highlight of the Week: Rio & Reno’s Guide to Film-making
- The purpose of the film club is to make a promotional video for the school and to guide students through the filmmaking process. The club’s members are Rio Primandaru, Reno Johnson, Jade Kim, Simone Liebich, Paul Walker, Kirana Beintema, Jordan Tenandar, Emily Nielsen, Edward Gunarian, and Joshua Liebich.
- Rio Primandaru and Reno Johnson were the two that launched the creation of the club –thus the name. 🙂 It is impressive that these two sophomores took it upon themselves to create a new after school club. They are both interested in and passionate about filmmaking and wanted to share that passion and interest with their fellow BAIS students.
- Rio said his motivation for starting the club was, “I wanted our students to have more opportunities to learn together and make films.” Similarly, Reno “wanted to give people the opportunity to find passion in films and the professions that can be found in the field.”
- The staff sponsor is Pak John Ratukado. His goal in helping create the club is “to get the students involved in activities that are related to their everyday lives.”
- The film club meets every Wednesday from 2:45-4pm.
Keep your eyes on the BAIS Buzz for updates, changes, and more information!
Spiritual Emphasis Week
The cost of the T-Shirt this year is only Rp 80.000. Please fill out this order form online and an invoice will be emailed to you from the SEW committee.
All payments for the invoices are due by Thursday, November 2, 2017.
- Elementary Student / Parents: Please pay the invoiced amount to the homeroom teachers
- Secondary Student / Parents: Please pay the invoiced amount to Mr. Whitehurst or Mr. Ramappa.
Link to online order form: https://goo.gl/forms/DGdlkX6WVBhAgnfB3
Download the full issue as PDF: Issue 12: 27 October, 2017 – English