From the BAIS Elementary Principal’s Desk
As many of you know, this is recruiting season for all of our NICS schools. Mr. Nielsen has already headed to the US, and I will be following him tomorrow. For the next two weeks, we will be joining with the NICS Directors from all of our 16 schools around the world. Throughout the week there will be various meetings and professional development training. Saturday, February 24th there will be a NICS Job fair where we will be able to talk about BAIS with potential candidates for our few remaining positions. I am happy to announce we have already hired two of our positions – a new K-12 Art teacher and a new 2nd-grade teacher. You can see their photos and read a little more about them below. Please be praying for our 3 open positions middle school math/science teacher, technology Teacher, and ELD teacher. If you know of anyone who would be interested in joining our team at BAIS, please have them go online and check out the application at nics.org.
Charity (LaMertha) Sianturi, Ed.S
Elementary Principal / Curriculum Coordinator
My name is Melissa Harvey (Ms Harvey) and I will soon be joining BAIS as a second grade teacher. I am excited to become a part of the BAIS team in Indonesia! I have been teaching in Nagoya, Japan for the past four years with another NICS school, ICAN. While at ICAN, I have been both a classroom teacher of upper elementary students (4th-6th grades) and a lead teacher for the elementary (Kinder-6th). I have enjoyed both of these positions very much. I enjoy working with the students both at school and in after school clubs. Prior to becoming a missionary in Japan, I taught for almost ten years in Kansas public schools from 3rd grade-8th grade at different moments in time. During my time in Kansas, I was able to cheer for own two kids as they grew up and played sports for our school district. My daughter, who is now an accountant for a missions organization, played soccer from age 3-college. My son, who is now a K-9 police officer, played baseball and football from age 5-high school. One of my most favourite activities is exploring new areas, so I very much look forward to exploring my new surroundings in and around Bandung. Most recently, I was able to travel to China and see the Great Wall. It was magnificent. Please know that above all else, I love the Lord. He is my foundation, my strength, and my guide. My favorite verse is Ephesians 2:22, “And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.” I hope this is true everyday of my life. I look forward to meeting each of you very soon,
Ms. Melissa Harvey
I am so excited that the Lord is bringing me back to BAIS after four years away! For those of you who do not know me, I had the great privilege of serving at BAIS from 2011-2014. I grew up as an MK in Indonesia and the Philippines. I started teaching at BAIS a year after graduating from college. I left Indonesia to go home and help care for a sick family member and the Lord provided a job at a Christian college in New York during that time. In August, I moved to California where I have been subbing in a public school district in Huntington Beach. I have been enjoying the beach volleyball, warm winter weather, and playing with my little nephew. I cannot wait to meet new faces and reunite with some old friends, as well as see how BAIS has changed. Thanks!
Ms. Bethany Christensen
BAIS Spring Concert
April 6, 2018, Friday 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm,
BAIS Sports Court
Attire: A white top and a black bottom
- Boys: A white top and black pants
- Girls: A white top, black skirt and black stockings (leggings and tights would be fine)
- Shoes: dark color
BAIS Piano Concert
May 3, 2018, Thursday 3:45 pm – 4:45 pm,
Music Room 121
BAIS music department offers a recital experience for the BAIS students. All piano students are encouraged to participate. Please prepare the following: *One piano piece in any genre *Perform the piece from memory If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me
Monday – February 19 MEME DAY – dress up as your favorite meme
Tuesday – February 20, 20th CENTURY FASHION DAY
Wednesday – February 21, DISNEY DAY – high school – Disney class theme
elementary and middle school – Disney character
DRESS CODE APPLIES
Athletics & Club News
- IISSAC Basketball and Cross Country at Salatiga, Feb. 23-25! Check the BAIS Pep Club Facebook page for updated information.
- IISSAC Swimming and Badminton Start March 5th! Contact Pak Manatap or Haydn if you’re interested in IISSAC Badminton.
Contact Pak Henry if you are interested in swimming in the IISSAC tournament hosted by BAIS.
After School Activities
- Good luck 11th grader Josiah Kim! He will be competing in the Thailand International Mathematical Olympiad (TIMO) this coming week in Bangkok.
- Seventh grader YuLim Sung will compete in a World Mathematics Invitational (WMI) qualifier next Saturday, Feb. 24.
BAIS’ MUN Team will compete in the PMUN Competition March 1-2.
- Registration for Season Three of After School Activities starts Feb. 26! We still need suggestions and volunteers for activities or clubs for our students. Please contact Mr. Powers, Mrs. Loewen, or Ibu Dias with your ideas.
Keep your eyes on the BAIS Buzz for updates, changes, and more information!
February 21, 2018 from 4pm to 6pm
Scene 11: Directions from an Old Friend & Scene 12: Croquet
Cast: Toto, Cheshire Cat 1, Cheshire Cat 2, Cheshire Cat 3, Dorothy, Alice, Lion, Scarecrow, Mad Hatter, March Hare White Rabbit, Dorothy, Queen of Hearts, Five, Dormouse, Cheshire Cat 1, Tin Man, Knight, King of Hearts, Seven
The Kids Backyard Club is Back
Our first club will be on February 22, 2018
Time: Thursdays from 4pm – 5:15pm
Location: Jl. Jinggaprabu no. 18(Ms. Lane and Ms. Ribben’s house).
We will be hosting a Bible club for the neighborhood kids in Jingga. All Elementary (K-5) students are invited to participate and middle school and high school students are welcome to come help serve. Please contact Ms. Lane if you are interested.
– Mrs. Squiers, Ms. Dickman and Ms. Lane
You may have asked yourself, “Why does BAIS offer the Early Bird Discount?” That is a great question. BAIS offers the Early Bird Discount for a couple of reasons.
- The discount allows BAIS families to be able to save an additional 3% or 5% on their educational costs. As we all know, costs are rising in every area of life and education is usually no different. However, that cannot be said about BAIS next year. BAIS is introducing a new pricing structure for the 2018-2019 school year. The majority of our tuition fees are decreasing. The Early Bird Discount is another way that BAIS partners with you to provide your students an excellent education.
- By taking advantage of the Early Bird Discount you help BAIS plan for the next school year. It provides valuable information to help us make important decisions on personnel, curriculum, and facilities. This information allows BAIS to be better prepared to serve your family.
I hope this helps you know why we offer the Early Bird Discount. Please take advantage of this for the 2018-2019 school year in April.
Mr. Mark Boccaccio
Download this issue as PDF: Issue 25: 15 February, 2018 – English